attack 2

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri May 13 01:09:41 UTC 2005

Richard Crawford wrote:
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 13:53, jludwig wrote:
>
>>Patterns on the keyboard are a good way to go as far as password
>>generation. Something such as qazwsx123 (try typing it out on a "qwerty"
>>keyboard).
>

> One method that works well for me and which I've seen in a couple of different
> books is to come up with a sentence, then take the first letter of each word
> in the sentence (along with punctuation), then do some minor character
> substitution.
>
> For example, take the sentence:
>
> 	"We love our Linux administrator guy and we'll give him money!"
>
> The first letter of each sentence becomes:
>
> 	wloLagawghm!

Trust me, ordinary folk can't cope with that.

> See?  A nice simple human-friendly algorithm that generates a secure password,
> complete with a helpful mnemonic -- well, a helpful memory spur, at least.
>
> And no, this is NOT my password for any work or home machine of mine.  ;)

Passwords such as bluebrat, red-cucumber, silly.pat, ricrmoss will foil
dictionary attacks, esp those mounted over the Internet, and if assigned
(rather than chosen) then even people who know the have little chance of
guessing them, and they have some prospect of being remembered. Or so I
hope.
Looking at ricrmoss there's some possibility of associating it with
Richard, but guessing it in the first place is going to take serious
time. Presumably, Richard would have no problem remembering it at all.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait