Fwd: Strange behaviour of hostid ?

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:36:50 UTC 2005

Oops..forgot to Cc the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Mather <mathera at gmail.com>
Date: May 13, 2005 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of hostid ?
To: Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com>

Hi Jonathan

On 5/13/05, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> > The latest lot have the form:  ffffffff809d3f8e, whereas previous ones
> > were like: 809d288e
<snip>

> Does this happen on other x86_64 systems (running a 64-bit OS), or
> just these new ones?  If it does not, is the ID not negative (ie, is
> the first number 7 or less)?

This machine (halibut) is also an Opteron, but running FC2  (the ???'s
are mine, not a problem with the machine's name)

[root at halibut root]# uname -a
Linux halibut.???.???.gov.au 2.6.5-1.358smp #1 SMP Sat May 8 09:28:14
EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at halibut root]# hostid
809d288e
[root at halibut root]#

Whereas this one, sole...well..they're flat, so what else could I call
them ?  ;-) is an identical machine running FC3.  We got two of these
machines in January and another two this month.  The older ones both
return the expected value, while both new ones retun the 'odd' values.

[root at sole ~]# uname -a
Linux sole.???.???.gov.au 2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Apr 7 19:36:23
EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at sole ~]# hostid
ffffffff809d3f8e
[root at sole ~]#

The FC3 machine has all the latest updates, while the FC2 one is a
month or two behind, although the version of hostid is the same for
both.

[root at halibut root]# hostid --version
hostid (GNU coreutils) 5.2.1

[root at sole ~]# hostid --version
hostid (GNU coreutils) 5.2.1

Andrew
PS yes, the other two are called flounder and plaice  ;-)