Playing DVD freezes the computer

Leopoldo Olmos leodoc at cantv.net
Fri May 13 12:06:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 07:51 +0200, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Friday 13 May 2005 05:23, Xiaotian Sun wrote:
> > I tried this -V xshm on another DVD.  When played for about 1 hour, it
> > froze the computer again.  Really don't know what's going on.
>
> This may not be easy to find.
> Is your system stable using other application or do you also have an
> occasional crash without using video playing ?
> If so, perhaps it's a memory problem. You could check your CAS settings in the
> bios to see if they're perhaps set to critical for your memory.
>
> you can also try to monitor your log files while playing DVD. perhaps
> something already happens before the crash.
>
> Regards,
> Marcel

I have the same problem with some titles but not with others: my AMD64
with 1GB RAM crash after perfectly playing a DVD for about one hour. The
same happens when a switch to windows media player -dual boot system-
most of the time at the same chapter of the movie. In my case, I think
the problem is in the DVD -mostly replicas-, may be some kind of
encrypted code to avoid copying.

Leopoldo Olmos