Vi problem

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri May 13 14:25:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:56:40PM +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone give me some more info regarding the following:
>
> On some installations when I issue commands in vi, e.g say
> ":colorscheme darkblue" and then I close the file, then log back in
> and try to scroll through the vi history I keep getting "<up>" output
> instead of my historical commands. Can someone please let me know how
> to fix this.

What you have is a "vim" problem, not a "vi" problem.
Your best place to look for the answers to these questions is not the
fedora list but the vim community.

Here:
http://www.vim.org/docs.php

Sounds like a key mapping problem.- what you are seeing is vim displaying
what key it thinks you are pressing, the "up" key.

Instead of the arrow keys, try using "k" for up, "l" for right, "j" for
down and "h" for left.  If you still get the same problem, try going
on IRC at:

freenode irc.freenode.net #vim very active; web page
IRCnet   #vim

> Also is there anyway to tell vi to start with a different
> default colour scheme, or is there a way to edit the colourschemes.
Yes and yes.

run the command "man vim"

Carefully read the entire page.  Its on that page.