Sound: FC2

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat May 14 01:26:01 UTC 2005

Folks,

I have asked several times and seems that sound cards are one of
those questions no one wants to touch or solve...  Had this sound
problem since I installed FC2 on this machine.  Gave up many
times to tackle it later and come back to try and solve it.
Seems like I am in a casual loop :-)

My card is a YMF-724F - Yamaha DS-XG

I am guessing that all along -- that FC2 had
the old sound system installed and it was not
until later that ALSA was added in -- so I think
it is quite possible that I have two sound systems
installed in my FC2 -- SO --

If this is true -- what was the original sound-system
used and since I KNOW that I am using ALSA -- how can
I get rid of it (the old sound system)?

The current system cannot play MIDI, the KDE cannot play
the two default sounds in the KDE Control Center (One is
probably a wave file and the other IS MIDI)  KDE cannot
play system sounds -- it does NOT WORK

When I brought up the Audicity Sound Editor -- I brought
in the Classic Bell wave file and I notice that the bell
plays well but just at the point where it should have stopped,
there is a wobbling feedback sound that continues on for at least
11 seconds past the stop point -- this happens no matter WHAT wave
file is played and I notice that the sound-levels for both channels
are solid full (green) as if in a feedback loop.

Also -- note that CD's played through GRIP works well -- no problems
what-so-ever.

The following is my /etc/modprobe.conf file (note: why is there a
/etc/modules.conf file as well??? DO I need this?)

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias eth0 e100
alias scsi_hostadapter sym53c8xx
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ymfpci

# module options should go here
# 330(D), 300, 332, 334
options snd-ymfpci index=0 mpu_port=0x330
# 388(D), 398, 3A0, 3A8
options snd-ymfpci index=0 fm_port=0x388

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

install snd-ymfpci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ymfpci && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-ymfpci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ymfpci

Any help is apprechiated!
Dan