Mount option hazardous to USB Flash!

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Sat May 14 13:48:49 UTC 2005

I wonder how Windows(tm) is handling this. I guess it starts writing
pretty soon but maybe it delays writing the FATs.

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 18:07 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> 	Flash devices don't have indefinite read/write cycles.  They can and do
> eventually wear out.  The FAT tables on the FAT/VFAT file systems are
> particularly vulnerable to this.  I've had CF cards burn up in PDAs just
> from being set to automatically back the PDA up periodically and then
> there was a FAT rewrite for every file (hundreds) it backed up every
> night.  Good night CF card after a couple of months.

AFAIK SD Cards use dynamic remapping to prevent this type of wear out,
but even in this case the sync option shortens media life and should be
disabled.

> 	Now...  If I can just find the inDUHvidual who stuck that STUPID option
> in there so I can beat the crap out of him with a clue-by-four...  $70
> USB key shot in the ass because of an assinine mount option.  Grrr...

Some hardware manufacturers provide lifetime warranty for their cards.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic
forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as
the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively
in the interest of the ruling class - whether that class hereditary royalty,
oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.
                                             Frank Herbert, Children of Dune