Xwindows locking up on boot

Randolph Jones jonesrf1 at qwest.net
Sat May 14 18:10:44 UTC 2005

jludwig wrote:

>On Saturday 14 May 2005 01:08 am, Randolph Jones wrote:
>

>>I have FC3 2.6.11.7. I have been ok for some time, and recently
>>my system fails on boot every other boot
>>the x window starts and fails at hardware check, requiring
>>poweroff and restart
>>next boot is ok, but if I use cmdline shutdown or the menu it will
>>freeze the next boot
>>the mouse moves but keyboard does not respond
>>the display freezes during the hardware check
>>I dont see anything in the messages file
>>Any ideas where to look for the problem?
>>TIA
>>rfjones
>>

>I have had this sort of problem with some programs, especially Adobe and java
>programs sucking up all CPU resources.
>
>Check what you are starting with X a startup program may be at fault.
>You can use top to see wich ones may be at fault ( you will have to be patient
>it can take a few minutes for top to start).

Thanks for your reply.
I can see monitor jitter before X starts; there are lots of new and
weird things in my init.d dir, but everything seems to run ok on every
other boot.
If I power-off to shutdown I have to recover the ext3 journal, orphaned
nodes etc, and then it runs ok
if I reboot or shutdown from the menu or the command line, next boot I
get the jitters in the monitor and the x windows freeze; mouse works but
kbd doesnt and requires hardware switch to recycle
what to do?
rfjones