alsa-driver-1.0.6 won't make

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat May 14 20:00:50 UTC 2005

Anyone having problems with alsa on FC3 should check the version if it's
1.0.6, it's a turkey.  I couldn't get that working on FC3 and finally did
get alsa working on slackware 10.1 but that was alsa-xxx-1.0.8.  You may
need to rebuild the kernel with alsa-xxx-1..0.8 to get sound working at
all in FC3.  Unfortunately I haven't yet managed a successful kernel
rebuild in Linux or I'd share the steps with you here and now.  I did
research on the alsa-project.org web site for my card and I'm not sure
what all I read there was completely accurate either.  There were extra
oss-related modules I loaded once doing a modprobe snd-ens1371 then I ran
alsaconf on slackware and all worked correctly.  On fedora I selected the
sound card then got an error 1119 when it was time for alsaconf to use my
sound card.  In any case i'm about to reinstall slackware to fix a couple
bad choices I made with startx setup and with luck I'll have gnopernicus
up and talking shortly after that.  At least slackware has a mouth now.