ramifications of using a stock kernel?

Birt, Jeffrey birtj at umr.edu
Sun May 15 00:11:57 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Christopher J.
Bottaro
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:01 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: ramifications of using a stock kernel?

Apparently the FC kernels are all hacked/patched by Red Hat.  Thus
things
like ndiswrapper won't compile against them.  I need two things that
require a stock kernel from kernel.org:  ndiswrapper, and an unofficial
patch that makes my stupid Dell Inspiron 6000's DVD player use DMA.

Now my question is what ramifications will there be for using a stock
kernel
on an FC3 system.  What will break?

Oh, I have a second question.  Where can I get the stock FC3 kernel
config
file.  Honestly, the kernel has gotten so big, that I have no idea which
options should be turned off or on.  Its nice to just load the default
FC3
one, but I don't know where it is.
----

I'm using FC3 and built ndiswrapper with no problems?  When I needed to
patch the kernel to make S3 work on my laptop I downloaded the kernel
source rpm from redhat.  Added the patch file to the appropriate
directory, modified a rpm build file (don't remember name) and did an
rpm kernel build.  Then installed the resulting rpm kernel.  Check out
this thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/msg03272.html

Jeff Birt
Electronics Engineer