Firefox Fonts Limited

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Sun May 15 13:33:04 UTC 2005

On 5/14/05, Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> wrote:
> I just installed FC3. I feel like the font in Firefox is odd. The lines have a lot of space between them. I think I might be missing some fonts. If I look at the font menu I have a very narrow list of odd fonts like Nimbus and Utopia but none of the normal fonts like Times New Roman, Arial, or Helvetica.
>
> I copied over my ttf fonts and added them to the font path (actually using XFS) and varified their availability in xfontsel but still Firefox has a very limited goofy set of fonts. How can I get just plain Times New Roman?
>
> Also, is there a way to disable the anti-aliasing or whatever smoothing is going on? IMHO I think it looks retarded and would like to turn it off.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike;

I'll draw your attention to this thread;
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/msg00545.html .

I have experienced the same issue you are having. FC1 didn't have the
problem, and I think it started with FC2, and continued through FC3. I
am testing FC4, and to some degree the problem is not as bad.

I think the problem stems from some changes being made to the Luxi
Sans font (the default sans font in FC), which you can read about in
the thread I've referenced. The big problem is that OpenOffice somehow
relies on the system default font, even if you're not using that font
in your document. For me this causes lots of problems with Calc docs
that I have, all the layout is wrecked.

The solution that seems to remove the issue for me is outlined in the
thread, and that is to change the default sans font to Bitstream Vera
Sans. A number of other linux distros use the Vera fonts as the
default, which then allows you to transport your OOo docs from one
distro to another. The Vera Sans font looks better in Firefox too, in
my opinion, but it is a much wider font that Luxi Sans (or Arial,
which many sites spec), and that throws off some web page layout. Oh
well...

-P