Redundant Servers

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Sun May 15 14:45:29 UTC 2005

Hi!

Whew, looks like you really went thru lots of trouble preparing for the
redundancy thang!

kk...the tech we talking about here is HA(High Availibility) google
around for this.

I recently put together 2 HA servers. It seems that you went thru lots
of pain and expense to put together 2 "twin" hardware systems together
which is really good but not necessary IMHO.

Bob Chiodini really got me started...He put together an HA system at the
space center bout 3 yrs ago and it's still doing it's thing and He is
actually my mentor w/this stuff.

1st off what are you really looking to do? are you looking to help out
your busy server and putting the same data on line  or are you just
wanting to cover your servers hardware failure possiblilities?

I am set up to cover server failure NOT traffic problems.
Bob knows the traffic end w/his heartbeat software.

To add this extra point of failure tho, there are also a couple of
different routes to take.

Bob's route, is to have one box deemed as the master...the master goes
down ...the slave covers for it...the master comes back...the slave
relinquishes his serving duties and the master takes over.

my route, the first box up is the master...the next box up is the
slave...master goes down ...master duties now are the (has been) slave.
the orig. slave is now the master... the other box comes back...it's the
slave.

all the time...syncing duties are carried on both ways depending on who
has the freshest data

hope this helps

john rose