questions on ssh

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon May 16 06:58:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:13:01 +0530
Ankush Grover <ankush174 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > c) How to do X11 forwarding in putty( on windows) to my remote Linux servers.
> >
> > I don't understand this. Do you mean you want to run X apps on your
> > Windows machine? If so, you need an X server like Exceed.
> >

> I want to do X11 forwarding .Means the X11 is running on my Remote
> linux server when i login into Linux server through Putty i want to
> use X11 windows or mode rather than using console mode.

For an X application to run you need to be running an X
server. Locally. Meaning on the Windows machine. PuTTY is not an X server.

> The procedure told me is that for SSH version 1 or SSH version 2 .I
> don't want to use SSH1 ,I only want to use ssh version 2.

SSHv1 is pretty much long dead. I don't recall the last time I did SSHv1
anything. I'm not sure if OpenSSH will even negotiate SSHv1 by default
anymore. You could probably find this bit in the sshd manpage pretty
easily.

Mike