Problem with file corruption on new system, but no error?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon May 16 09:47:25 UTC 2005

I've got a new AMD 64machine running on a MSI MS-6741 ver: 1
motherboard with 1GB of Ram, and a Maxto 250 diamond Max 10
6B250R0 hard drive.

The system has the latest FC3 updated with GYUM. The system
has been working fine till today, and for most things still seems to
be.

Problem. I create Image file on this machine, and use them to
restore systems. The 250GB drive was to be able to store many
images. Previously, I was using a P4 system with a 40GB drive, so I
could only store two of the 13GB images.

This worked fine till today. Yesterday, I downloaded an image from
the machine with no problem, did some updates, and created a new
image. Then today, I went to restore the new image, and was
getting checksum errors on the lzop decompression. Then went to
the machine, and started checking the files on the machine, and it
failed there as well. Also, checked the other 5 image files, and they
also now have errors, but they worked yesterday.

The system gave no errors, and I then tried a shutdown -r -F now,
and have it come up. The scan would run up to 34.1% and then
would sit there for about 30 seconds, then it would go back to the
text screen for about  1 minute, then back to the testing screen with
34.9% and go on thru the rest of the test. No error.

I did another image on the new image to the older server, and the
lzop -t <image worked fine. I then used ncftp to copy the file to the
new machine, and then ran a test, and it failed with a checksum.

I've now deleted all the image files, and now the shutdown -r -F now
goes thru without the pausing. Will see if it works tomorrow, but
don't know if this is something with the hardware, or with the OS.
Except for the lzop checksum, nothing shows an error. Is it
something with having more than a few 13GB files.

The partition was setup as default by the FC3, so it has a boot
partition, and the reset is one big partition.

Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem, or how to
resolve/test various things.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  16,456
Processing time:  30 years, 311 days,  9 hours,  3 minutes
(Total Hours: 270,273)