Second Mail Server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 15:23:46 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Tim Holmes um 16:00:

> My next quandary that I am in relates to our second mail server.  Our
> primary box is an exchange server which services all the user e-mail
> accounts etc.  I would like to set up a second mail server to
> primarially run the Email lists - Using Mailman, as well as to host
> e-mail for other domains. (if a teacher owns a domain name, I want to
> host e-mail for them as a benefit of their employment, just like I host
> their webpages)
>
> I am curious to your thoughts on which Mail server would be best (fc3
> box)  Right now it has both sendmail and postfix set up on it, and its
> got its own static IP (public).

The first question can easily lead to pseudo religious wars :} So the
general answer is: choose the one MTA you are most comfortable with and
whose documentation you know best. Running a mail server (MTA and mail
storage server [POP3/IMAP]) in a production environment I think you
should buy a book about the system. Mail administration is one of the
most complex things to do as administrator and you constantly have to
have an eye on your system(s).

> Also if anyone knows of a link to a fairly basic guide to either one of
> these severs, I am new e-mail servers and I need some basic instruction.
> I have tried googling and I tend to get stuff that's kinda above where I
> am at.  Lastly, this server (like my primary) needs to use a smart host
> cuz our ISP has got some of our IPs screwed up.

http://www.brennan.id.au/12-Sendmail_Server.html

This can be a fair starting point when deciding for Sendmail. Though, in
the "Hardening Sendmail" section forget about the funny suggestion to
hide the MTA version in the greeting message. I wouldn't call that even
security by obscurity, more a joke.

> TIM

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:17:08 up 2 days, 16:49, load average: 0.15, 0.13, 0.06