A question about NTFS

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon May 16 18:45:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:55:59AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:24:13AM -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > > Is it possible to bind ntfs to the linux kernel?
> > Yes.  You have done it each time you downloaded and installed the
> > linux-ntfs project to your system.
> > (see definitions 1 and 2 of "bind" below)
>
> I think he means definition #2 in a more complete sense:
>
> >    2. To link any element, tag, identifier or mnemonic with another so
> > that the two are associated in some manner. See alias.

Nope, Unless I mis-read his email, he wants the linux-ntfs project
integrated into the body proper of his favorite distro, FC-N, so he
doesn't have to install it himself after each update.

A reasonable thing to desire if you have to interface w/NTFS partitions
a lot.

> it'd be nice if rpm depsolvers could automatically pull in updated kernel
> modules when the kernel is updated -- i.e. if the kernel module rpms were
> some how "bound" to the kernel. Currently, this doesn't work very well.
> There's been some talk on the Fedora Extras list about solving the problem,
> though.

That would be a nice feature, potentially hazardous though.  Automated
updates into a production environment aren't always a happy making
event. ;-)

Perhaps the risk could be mitigated with some flexible configuration
options on the update feature.