OT: Compaq Proliant "loses" memory when more PCI cards installed???

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 19:09:06 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Thomas Cameron um 20:34:

> > > I noticed that when it boots, the system counts 4GB memory, but after
> > > POST is says that there are only 3.6GB.  I called HP about it and they
> > > said that the system reserves a chunk of memory for each PCI card.  I
> > > pulled the video and sound cards, and sure enough, the system saw more
> > > memory.
> >
> > This is a limitation of the 32bit world. The system I/O address space
> > has to be mapped into the available memory space, from top limit 4GB
> > down. Often this is even a fixed memory space of 512MB.
>
> So then even if I get a different board I will likely see the same
> results, huh?

> Thomas

"A different board" means a very different system then. HP should be
able to tell you what's possible. The underlaying platform (CPU and
chipset) has to support the memory address remapping, so that the memory
area which is required by the I/O address space (PCI, AGP, et al) below
4GB inside the 32 bit area can be appended above 32 bit up to 36 bit and
accessed by the OS. You are better to avoid that situation by using a
true 64 bit system :)

Regards

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:01:29 up 2 days, 20:33, load average: 0.16, 0.20, 0.18