Backup mail server?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon May 16 19:39:24 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 16.05.2005 schrieb Cosme Faria Corrêa um 21:21:

> > Terrible idea. Backup MX at a site that you do not control becomes
> > (rapidly) a spam magnet. Backup MX is entirely unnecessary.
> >
> I do not agree.
> I think it is not a good idea to allow my client see a warning about my
> server unavailability.

And how do you think you can prevent that without running a HA mail
service?

> The MX bkp server just cache your e-mails while you are off-line.
> It is not routine, it is for a emergency.

That is the idea behind it.

> The relay is closed and it send just for your MX "master", when
> available.
>
> Is there any problem here?

I do not understand how you will solve this by using an MX service from
dyndns.org. Maybe you are able to elaborate the concept you think it is
transparent to your clients? From what you said above it can't be a
round-robin selection.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:35:12 up 2 days, 21:07, load average: 0.20, 0.19, 0.18