A question about NTFS

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 16 23:11:53 UTC 2005

Paulo Lino wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to bind ntfs to the linux kernel? The problem is that
> everytime i upgrade the linux core i have to download a new version of the
> linux-ntfs project and go through a few steps in order to enable (again)
> ntfs on my machine. I would like a solution where no matter what core i've
> got on my computer the ntfs file system would always be "up and running".

I don't think you need to do that. You do, however, need to build or
acquire a _kernel_ with the NTFS support enabled. _I_ use the level of
NTFS already in the FC kernel, I just need to enable it.

Whatever you choose to do, write a script to do it. The script might
a) Check you favourite mirror for a src.rpm.
b) If one exists
b.1) Download it
b.2) Install it
b.3) Edit one or more config files I use sed for this, others use perl.
b.4) Build the rpm(s) you desire.
b.5) Move the build rpms into your local yum repository
c) Install your new kernel.

If you're unfamiliar with scripting, a shell script is basically the
commands you'd type at the console. There are some enhancements
available to handle variable information, and you will need this for the
script to find and use new file names.

Other useful info
man lynx
man awk