Making a dos floppy

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue May 17 13:30:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 05:52:58AM -0400, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> How do I make a dos floppy in Fedora? I've looked around and all I can
> find is "mkfs.msdos" which is referenced on some web sites and I have
> the command in /sbin/ however, it won't run, says command not found.
>
> --
These teo commands run sequensially (in a script) are the best way to
format a dos disk:
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
mformat -t 80 -h 2 -s 18 a:/

If you look at man fdformat you can see that several different
formats are available but the commands above give the standard format
with verification.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University