LP->CD?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Tue May 17 13:42:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:39:34 -0400
John Aldrich <john at chattanooga.net> wrote:

[Making CDs from LPs]

Not sure how Fedora-related this is, excapt that you might be able to then
rip the CDs to OGG files. :)

The easiest option I can think of would be to purchase an "audio" CD
recorder.  These things are fairly cheap now, and many have nice
options for automatically stopping/starting recording of tracks when the
song changes on the LP.  The only disadvantage to these units is that they
record on "audio" or "for consumer" CDs and refuse to record on regular
data CDs.  From an end user's perspective, there's not really much
difference in the two, except you have to remember to put the right kind
of CD in the audio CD recorder to record on.  Computers don't care -
they'll read or write either type.

I've got a Terapin CD/CD-Video recorder that works great for transferring
old vinyl, tape, or even VHS movies to CD.  (Funny thing is, the Terapin
will happily record VIDEO to data CDs, but will fuss if you try to record
audio only.  Go figure... must be an RIAA thing.)

If you absolutely MUST record via your sound card, then your best bet is
probably to connect the line-level output of your preamp to the line-level
input of your sound card.  I think an audio-CD recorder would be much less
of a pain in the butt, though. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!