LP->CD?

Anthony J Placilla anthony_placilla at SUTH.COM
Tue May 17 13:44:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 06:39 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 05:31 am, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > I have a lot of old interesting LPs which I would love to have on CDs.
> > If somebody knows a way to play an LP into the PC and subsequently burn
> > it to a CD I am very interested in learning how to do it.
> >
> Erik:
> The only thing I can suggest (and there may be others who have better
> suggestions) is to play the LPs on your record player and the pipe the output
> to your sound card's input jack. I'm going to take a stab in the dark here
> and say you can just take the "component out" from the record player/stereo
> to the "input" on the sound card. Likely you'll need a set of RCA jack cables
> and an RCA to 1/8-inch mini-jack adapter to do this.
>
> Another option would be to pipe the heaphone output to the input jack, but I'm
> not sure if that would be at the correct volume, etc. Your best bet would be
> to get some professional to do it for you...
> 	John

I've actually been doing this on & off for the past year. I've got in
excess of 400 classical albums that I'm putting to CD.

I've been using Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)  for
recording & editing the captures to remove the snap crackle pop that is
inherent in some of my "too well loved" albums.

hardware is an Audio-Technica PL-50 turntable (it's got a nice onboard
pre-amp) & an Ortofon NC cartridge into the line in of a SoundBlaster
Live card.

K3B worksforme to record the cleaned up audio to CD.

Some other interesting tools I've seen (but not used) are
phono-ripper (http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/phonoripper/phonoripper.html)

and the previously mentioned Gnome Wave Cleaner
(http://gwc.sourceforge.net/)

--
Tony Placilla, RHCT
anthony_placilla at suth.com

J.O.A.T.

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64