Making a dos floppy

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue May 17 15:48:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:30:19AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 05:52:58AM -0400, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> > How do I make a dos floppy in Fedora? I've looked around and all I can
> > find is "mkfs.msdos" which is referenced on some web sites and I have
> > the command in /sbin/ however, it won't run, says command not found.
> >
> > --
> These teo commands run sequensially (in a script) are the best way to
> format a dos disk:
> fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
> mformat -t 80 -h 2 -s 18 a:/
>
> If you look at man fdformat you can see that several different
> formats are available but the commands above give the standard format
> with verification.

One more data point: Here's a script I've been using for years:

	#!/bin/sh
	echo fdformat $1
	fdformat $1 && echo /sbin/mkdosfs -vc $1 && /sbin/mkdosfs -vc $1
	echo -n "Format another? [y/N]: "
	read kb
	case $kb in
		Y)
			exec $0 $1
			;;
		y)
			exec $0 $1
			;;
		*)
			echo "Leaving $0,... Bye!"
			;;
	esac

Save it in a file named "dosformat" (or something else if you prefer),
I keep it in /usr/local/bin, make it executable, run it as root like this:

	/usr/local/bin/dosformat /dev/fd0H1440

If you only have that one drive you can replace all the instances of "$1"
with "/dev/fd0H1440" and then run it without arguments.

I used the mkdosfs command because it does some validity checks on the
volume, which would seem to make it a little more robust.

Fred