missing operating system problem

Mark A. Beaumont m.a.beaumont at reading.ac.uk
Tue May 17 16:14:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

I cannot get the system to boot up after installing fedora core 3. I
just get the message "missing operating system"

I have tried to install fedora core 3 (specifically FC3-x86_64) onto a
Dell PowerEdge SC1420 SATA (Dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processor 3.2GHz with
1MB L2 cache) 160GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive.

The machine is new. The disk was initially clean (no other OS installed)
and in the installation procedure I chose to wipe all partitions. I
followed all the defaults during formatting and installation. I don't
want a dual boot system. Everything seemed to install smoothly with no
warning messages. But it will not boot.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Best wishes,
Mark

--
Mark A. Beaumont,
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences,

Tel 0118 378 7707
Fax 0118 931 0180
Email: m.a.beaumont at reading.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.rubic.rdg.ac.uk/~mab/