test 2

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 17 16:47:18 UTC 2005

Neil Bird wrote:
>   Yes, that's how I verified that my posts hadn't made it to the lists.
>  These seem to be working OK, though, and my re-worded post (about
> grub) made it [although no-one's answered yet].
>
>   I'm trying to find out if we've some weird anti-spam filter on
> out-going emails here at work;  that's all I can think it'd be.

I have had a number of e-mails to the Fedora lists be silently dropped.
In each case, the problem was that my e-mail system was not properly set
up (yet), and the redhat.com system dropped the e-mail.

What I normally fall foul of is getting the envelope MAIL FROM: address
correct. This isn't the same thing as the "From: " line in the header,
and it isn't too easy to see what it *is* set to.

Red Hat won't accept e-mails unless the hostname in the MAIL FROM:
address resolves (it doesn't have to be subscribed. They use the From:
in the header for that).

I suspect that programs such as Thunderbird, Eudora, and Outlook Express
that submit e-mails through a SMTP link do just copy the "From: " line
in the header. But if you use something like mutt that uses
sendmail-compatible message submission, your MTA will [1] use your
username and its idea of what the local host is called. And I haven't
always thought to check that it's using westexe.demon.co.uk, not
localhost.localdomain or my internal name for the computer.

At least posting to the Fedora list keeps my mail setup working
properly!

I've learnt that lesson now. Time to go make more mistakes...

James.

[1] Unless I'm missing a config option somewhere, which is quite
possible.

--
E-mail address: james | Examiner: How does an AC motor start?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Student: vrrrrrrrrrrRrRRRRRRR...