missing operating system problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue May 17 21:02:03 UTC 2005

Mark A. Beaumont wrote:
> Many thanks for people's suggestions so far...
>
> Yes - I have checked that there are no other disks causing a problem. I
> have played with the ordering of boot drives; I have run the fedora
> installation cd in rescue mode. I played with all possible permutations
> of how to set up the boot configuration, but everything gave the same
> result. The trouble is I don't really know what I'm looking for. The
> grub.conf looks like others I've seen while trawling through Google, so
> I assume it is OK.

The forum prefers bottom-posting, so if you could comply, we'd
appreciate it.

We'd like to see the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf so we can see what
it is.  Also include your system layout (type of disks, how they're set
up and such).

Oh, and one additional thing...do NOT rely on the dread "cable select"
option on IDE drives.  Jumper them as Master or Slave.  NEVER trust
cable select.  Never, never, never!
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -