FC 2/3 Backup

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed May 18 08:44:26 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 12:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:54, Tim Holmes wrote:
>>

>>>Charles -- I am more than willing to try anything at this point,
>>>however, I am new to linux, and so I will need a little guidance getting
>>>through the process that you described (having cron tarbal the files and
>>>move them) -- it sounds like a valid plan, I am just gonna need some
>>>help getting it done.
>>>
>>>As far as Amanda -- I have seen it when doing installs, but I know
>>>nothing about it,  is it a backup server or a remote client,  any other
>>>info would be appreciated
>>
>>Amanda generally wants to write directly to a tape drive on the machine
>>running the server.  If you are interested in an on-line disk based
>>solution, look at backuppc:  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
>
> ----
> Amanada has both a client and server application. Thus on the computer
> that has the tape drive, it would need both. Any other system would only
> need the client. Apparently there is a version in CVS that backs up to
> filesystem and judging by my experience with Amanda, they are likely to
> do a very good job at that. I don't believe that the version distributed
> with Fedora 3 will do that though.
>
> Craig

I'm running amanda 2.4.4p2 on FC2 and it backs up to disk just fine. It's
backing up RH9, FC1 and FC2 clients. It supports virtual tapes on disk, but
requires a fair amount of manual configuration for the "tape changer".

It's a hairy-scary backup solution if you are used to a "real" backup
system, though. It has it's idiosyncracies, but once you get it setup you
can leave it to get on with it. I've not touched the setup in the past 6
months, it just silently backs-up the clients every night to a 250GB USB
drive. I wouldn't want to have to re-build a system from bare-metal using an
Amanda backup though.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555