Upgrade process from FC3 to FC4?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:53:22 UTC 2005

Roberto Ammendola wrote:
> Jared Buck wrote:
>
>> Any other questions you have, don't hesitate to ask 'em - we have a
>> very nice community here and you can get great support from users here
>> on the list or on FedoraForum.org.
>>

> Is there a way to just "yum update" from a FC4 repository and so
> magically move from FC3 to FC4? This could save me a lot of time...
>
> greetings
> roberto

I think you mean "yum upgrade." Or, if you like, "yum --obsoletes
update," which according to the "man yum" page amounts to the same
thing. (IIRC, the --obsoletes flag removes packages that are now
regarded as obsolete, which is essential to keep your disk from filling
up with junk.)

I seem to recall that you first have to rewrite yum.conf to point from
one version to another, or change $releasever from 3 to 4. Or maybe you
have to wget the latest yum rpm and then install it using

rpm -Uvh yum*

(I won't vouch for that! I've never downloaded yum from anywhere; it's
always installed itself as part of Core when I do a clean install.)

My history with updating the Core is that I once had a problem with an
xorg update that made Fedora impossible to start. So I backed everything
up (using scp from another host on my network) and then installed FC3
"cleanly." Probably just as well, considering that I had to go from
physical volumes to logical volumes. But now I'd like to do a regular
upgrade so that I can see what happens.

So how about it? Will "yum upgrade" or "yum -y upgrade" (the -y flag
automatically answers "yes" to any questions along the way) accomplish
an FC3 to FC4 transition? What shall I do ahead of time to make it work?

Temlakos