setting up startx correctly?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed May 18 21:35:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, May 18th 2005 at 14:22 -0700, quoth Richard E Miles:

=>On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
=>Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at shellworld.net> wrote:
=>
=>> what would be the steps to take in console mode to correctly set up
=>> startx?  the X configuration under text mode setup doesn't speak so far as
=>> I can tell while using speakup.  Maybe a better first question might be
=>> does any good reason exist to even use startx at all?  When I last ran it
=>> I got back an error 104 and was dumped back to text mode.
=>>
=>
=>startx should start the X server, then GNOME and put you in run level 5.
=>You don't have to do any changes to startx. It is a script located in
=>/usr/X11R6/bin/startx. If you are getting an error, you may have to configure
=>xorg.conf for your monitor using system-config-display. I would try that
=>first and then issue startx after it is configured.

I think I need to jump in here.

Run level 3 is text mode and is the place from which you can startx to
manually start the X server. When you log out of the X session you are
back at a text prompt.

Run level 5 is the graphic login manager xdm. There is no opportunity to
run startx from there. When you log out of your X session you get back to
the xdm graphic login manager.

The relationship of startx to xinit is probably best explained in the man
pages for startx and xinit.

steveo at syslang.net