grub: disk error 25 from menu, but OK from grub shell

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu May 19 07:24:03 UTC 2005

   I've created a CD with grub on, & I get the menu OK, but trying to
actually boot gives me 'error 25: disk read error'.  Hitting 'c' for the
command line and typing the commands in the grub.conf verbatim (below:
root, kernel & initrd) followed by 'boot' works though.

   Chaining to the hard-drive copy of the config file ('configfile
(hd0,4)/grub/grub.conf') gets the menu OK again, but has exactly the
problems.

   Why might there be a difference?

default 0
prompt 1
splashimage (hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
timeout 4

title Linux
   root (hd0,4)
   kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
   initrd /initrd.img

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature