OT: Editor like CygnusEd on Amiga

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Thu May 19 08:54:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:01:56 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am watching the list for some time now, but this is the first time I open a
> topic. And it turned out to be off-topic... :-))
>
> Short version:
>
> Can anyone give me a recommendation about an editor that is as close as
> possible (by look, feel and function) to the famous Cygnus Editor from the
> old Amiga days?
>
> If not, tell me where to start if I wish to write my own text editor? Is there
> a smarter way, or just From Scratch?

Since you've not mentioned whether you've tried all or most of the editors
listed at http://freshmeat.net here's the obligatory suggestion to browse
that directory and try as many of the smaller projects as possible. By now
you should have tried the most popular and/or most bloated editors.

I know Cygnus Editor, too, and for Windows based PCs, the only editor that
ever offered a similar list of features (e.g. rectangular blocks, multiple
windows, full screen cursor movement even beyond end of lines, a built-in
macro language with which to redefine menus/shortcuts/helper functions,
syntax highlighting, built-in hex dump,...) is MultiEdit:

  http://www.multiedit.com/

For Linux, I've been a user of JED for some time and customised it to use
a colour scheme and syntax highlighting, which made it look and feel nice
enough.  I've returned to Emacs after endless problems with UTF-8 in
JED. In general, I want to edit text, not spend more time editing a text
editor's configuration. Once tuned a little bit, Emacs just works for me.

Another editor which looked promising when I tried it long ago, is:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/leeditor/

Seems it's still maintained. There used to be a port to Qt or KDE
somewhere, which gave graphical menus to it.

> down, a line of text appears. Since I first started using Emacs, one of the
> main disadvantages I saw was "half-a-page-jump" when I reach the bottom of
> the screen. I usually get completely lost in text (especially if doing

This is customisable in your $HOME/.emacs

  (setq-default scroll-step 1)

just like many other features.

--
Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1305_FC4
loadavg: 1.60 1.38 1.15