cc poster

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:51:34 UTC 2005

On 5/19/05, Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> A more technical observation/question:  On this list if I reply from
> evolution the reply goes to the list.  On the Fedora-AMD64 list, if I
> reply it's to the sender, unless I choose "reply to list", then it's to
> the list, "reply to all" replies to both.  Can someone explain what
> makes it different?

On this list the mailing list software is changing the reply-to header
so it points back to the list. On your other list the mailing list
software leaves the reply-to header untouched.

For many years the standard behaviour for all mailing lists was to
leave the reply-to header untouched. Many people (myself included)
still think this is the correct behaviour, but it's one of those
debates that it's really not worth getting into.

Google for "reply-to munging" if you want to read both sides of the debate.

hth,

Dave...