migrate from redhat9 to fc3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu May 19 19:14:01 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 19.05.2005 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 20:21:

> Am Do, den 19.05.2005 schrieb Nina Pham um 20:13:
>
> > Hi, I have a redhat 9 server, I like to migrate to fc3. Is that possible
> > to do that? I search on the net for the instruction but found nothing.
> > anybody knows what step I need to take to migrate things from redhat 9
> > to fc?
>
> http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html
>
> Alexander

As Rahul kindly requested me to not recommend end users to do online
upgrades, I add following comment:

From Nina's question I thought she intends to find a way for an online
upgrade. The classical way is probably too obvious: when booting with
the desired release CD1 you get the option to upgrade. The question
about upgrading has been asked and answered that frequently here on the
list ...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=upgrade+RH9&q=b

In any way, it is always a good idea to have a valid, full backup prior
to starting an upgrade process.

Btw. the URL given be me starts with following clear statement:

"It is possible to upgrade your Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core system using
yum instead of choosing a CD/DVD-based install or upgrade option. Only
experienced Red Hat/Fedora Core users should attempt this, as the
upgrade process is not necessarily seamless."

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:04:36 up 5 days, 20:36, load average: 0.20, 0.09, 0.09