Printing problem with CUPS after FC3 upgrade

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu May 19 21:06:47 UTC 2005

felix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem. There's a computer on the network
> that are connected to a printer via Samba and another one by
> JetDirect (on port 9100). The computer used to be on FC2
> and could print on either printer fine. After upgrading to FC3,
> however, it stopped sending jobs to the printers.
>
> More precisely, it still sends jobs to the printers, but nothing
> comes out on the other end. There are no error messages or
> anything. It's just a black hole.

Yeah, I had very similar problem with my USB connected printer.  It
worked on  FC2.  Upgraded machine.  Now printing works from local
machine, but anything sent from remote hosts ends up in black hole.  Log
files indicate printing went fine!?

I solved problem for Windows systems by using PostScript driver on
Windows side.  Windows boxes are now sending PostScript with appropriate
content-type header.

However, other Linux boxes (configured to use IPP to connect to my Cups
printer server) still can't print, and I was unable to find solution.
Trick with PostScript that worked for Windows doesn't work for Linux
(probably since Linux is sending different content-type, something along
the lines of application/ipp or similar).

Basically, sounds like a bug in Cups somewhere.  When I talked to Cups
people, they simply refused to accept it might be a bug without even
looking into it, and redirected me to a support forum that wasn't much help.

If you manage to find solution, let me know.  I'd be interested to hear
how you solved it.