Xorg error 104 caused by security precaution

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri May 20 00:53:11 UTC 2005

When I installed this box, one of the services I turned off in an effort
to improve security (philosophy being if the service isn't needed don't
run it) was xfs.  When I turned xfs back on then rebooted and ran startx
for the first time it generated an error because it couldn't contact the
gnome configuration server.  So I closed startx down and tried again and
that error went away.  The reason telinit 5 worked is that doing telinit 5
starts up xfs as part of its normal operation and I remember that was one
of the services I had turned off so put 2 and 2 together and got this box
working farther than had ever been the cae before.