dual OS boot selection

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri May 20 12:15:30 UTC 2005

Kai Zhang wrote:
> I've installed both OSs. (XP first then Linux). Current boot loader is
> Grub. Is there anyway to modify from there?

Warning: I haven't tried this. I can't guarantee its reliability. You
shouldn't keep important data on the partition containing /boot if you
try this, and should be prepared to repair that filesystem. (Ideally,
/boot will be a separate filesystem that you can auto-backup somewhere
safe regularly).

It doesn't sound as though this is an important server, anyway...

Suitably intimidated? Good!
http://www.it.fht-esslingen.de/~zimmerma/software/ltools/ltools.html
allows you to write to Linux partitions under Windows. I'd recommend
having two grub configuration files, and make /boot/grub/menu.lst a
symlink to whichever one of them you want to boot next. Under either OS,
you would just change the symlink to the "right" configuration file and
reboot. You should be able to script this...

Yes, Grub can follow symlinks. I have a collection of grub splash
screens, and symlink /boot/grub/picture.xpm to a random one each boot.
Next boot, I see a new splash screen.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... the worst part is that unicorns are lousy
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | spellers, resulting in a growing population of