Upgrade process from FC3 to FC4? DISASTER??

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri May 20 20:54:05 UTC 2005

john bray wrote:
> On 2005-05-18 19:27:46 Brian Mury wrote:
>

>>>http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/departments/ask_shadowman/
>>
>>... which says the following: "the upgrade to GCC 4 will break any apps
>>you may have compiled for yourself against GCC 3.x".
>>
>>So anything I've built from source (as opposed to installing from RPM)
>>will have to be rebuilt, correct? That'll be a pain...
>

> have i missed something here?
>
> until now, i've upgraded from one release to the next with only minor problems.
>
> BUT this seems to be a MAJOR issue, if i'm understanding this properly.
>
> i read that statement as well, and have written to dag to ask about his take
> on it.  but haven't gotten any response, yet.
>
> my understanding of this is not just that anything you've built from scratch,
> but anything compiled that doesn't get updated/replaced when you install the
> FC4 distro is broken.

You could probably add the compat packages to the installation, and not
worry about it.  Unless packagers "forgot" to update verion of libraries
in filenames, or failed to provide compat library packages which I doubt.

I haven't tested this, so you might actually end up breaking things.
The above is simply my buest guess based on how things were done in past.