One installation CD (was: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?)

Martín Marqués martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Sat May 21 12:52:06 UTC 2005

El Vie 20 May 2005 18:53, Emmanuel Seyman escribió:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:34:38PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > Why is this question any harder to answer for fedora than for ubuntu?
>
> Well, for one thing, Fedora started off as a 4-CD set while Ubuntu
> had the advantage of starting fresh.
>
> Making Fedora fit on one CD means removing packages and not everyone
> agrees on which packages should be moved to Fedora Extras.

How hard would it be to have an extra CD image with the distro that will only
have the necesarry things to start the installation, partition, run fdisk,
pass throught all the installation configuration, and when the packages are
needed, just download them from the net.

Even better if it had the option to connect to any mirror (I could have a
network to install and have a local mirror to install, say, 15 Desktops). Or
have the ability to conect to a yam server. :-)

--
 09:47:41 up 49 days, 18:11,  4 users,  load average: 1.31, 1.04, 1.00
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'