OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:45:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:07, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> For one thing, Ubuntu in my opinion should not be
> compared with Fedora.  There is no comparison.  Ubuntu
> is a one-size fits all approach to quickly get things
> setup with little or no choice and many great apps
> missing while as Fedora (some complain bloat) has
> mostly everything that you need and yes you have to
> make choices if you are selective, but if you have the
> space do a complete install and then make the choices
> of what you use/need.

No it isn't.  Ubuntu is based on debian and has access
to all the debian-packaged programs which is even more
than what is available for fedora.  They just made a
different set of choices about what goes on the install
CD.  After that you 'apt-get' any other packages you
might want, just like you can use up2date, yum, or
the rpm port of apt-get after doing the more tedious
fedora install and still don't have exactly what you
want.  As an example, my favorite backup program is
backuppc.  From a ubuntu or other debian-based system I could
just 'apt-get backuppc' and have it installed automatically.
On fedora, I have to install by hand from
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

> Also in my opinion, if you want
> a one-cd, there are already too many distro's on one
> cd[Knoppix, Kanotix, PCLinuxOS, Slax], why reinvent
> the wheel.  Fedora is not for that.  Fedora is a
> full-featured, (complete Operating System).  And as
> previously mentioned some of the above mentioned
> distros are better than Ubuntu in my opinion.  And the
> hype about Ubuntu continues . . .

Think of Ubuntu as the first CD of a debian install and
you'll get the idea.  Fedora could have an equally easy
to install first CD (or multiple variations) without
losing any other packages from the network repositories
or the subsequent CD's if you wanted to install that way.
However, the fast-changing nature of fedora means that even
if you do install a program from the CD a few months after
release there's a pretty good chance that you'll replace the
whole thing on the first run of up2date or 'yum update'.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com