amarok installation & yum

James T. Carver jtcarver at skinartz.com
Sun May 22 08:46:53 UTC 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 07:36 am, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 07:11:39 -0500
> From: Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: Amarok is isntalled, so why does Yum complain?
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 20:04 -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> > I just installed Amarok; now I'm attempting to install amarok-xine and
> > some other related packages via Yum.  Unfortunately, every time I do, Yum
> > returns an error telling me that Amarok is needed for the new package to
> > install. What am I missing?  The version number of Amarok that Yum says
> > is needed is the same as the one I just installed, so why is it
> > complaining?
>
> Did you install Amarok as an rpm or from source?
> I would guess source since yum does not know about it.  Yum looks at the
> rpm database to find out what is installed.

I tried the same thing, with no success at all I ended up installing the extra
packages with rpm and telling it to ignore the deps and force the
installation. every time I used yum to install anything it would fail and
give me the same anal messages so I just quit using it at all. just download
the packages and install them with rpm or kpackage, and it will save you some
time and frustration.

James