Running shell scipts from GNOME

Ian Puleston ian at underpressuredivers.com
Sun May 22 18:09:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have FC4 test 2 installed on my PC, so this could be a bug in that,
but I'd like to know if it's something that works OK in a stable release
(note I couldn't install FC3 due to a couple of bugs that are fixed in
FC4, hence the reason that I'm using the test release).

What I'm trying to do is have a shell script executed by double-clicking
the file icon in GNOME's Nautilus file browser. I have the following
simple shell script named tst.sh and with "+x" attributes:

#!/bin/sh -f
echo Hello there
read -p "Hit return: " tmpvar

The default action for this file under Nautilus is "Open with Terminal",
but when I double-click it or select "Open with Terminal" from its menu
I just get a spinning hourglass for 30 seconds or so. If I then return
to the main console screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) I see the following warning was
reported:

   Invalid argument: /home/ian/ZPT Test/Results/r1-GS-hv/tst.sh

Ideas anyone?

Ian