Repository recommendations for FC3 and FC4

Truls Gulbrandsen trulsg at broadpark.no
Sun May 22 22:22:31 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:
| All right, everyone:
|
| What is the best repository mix for FC3 and the upcoming FC4, that will
| best serve the goals of:
|
| 1.    Avoiding dependency breaks, package conflicts, and the like, and
|
| 2.    Making available the widest variety of applications by a means
| other than going to every one of those programs' home sites, downloading
| the rpm, and running
|
| rpm -Uvh whatever.it.is.basearch.rpm
|
| Instead, I'd like to be able to type
|
| yum -y install whatever.it.is
|
| or
|
| apt-get install whatever.it.is
|
| without getting a message of:
|
| libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releasevernew conflicts with
| libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releaseverold
|
| Or:
|
| Error: Broken dependency
|
| I've been mixing dag, at-stable, and extras, and I suspect that I'm
| creating more problems than I thought I'd solved. Right now I'm looking
| at a red-dot throbbing screamer because clamav is available for update
| on at-stable but won't install because of a package conflict with an
| earlier package from the fc3 official repo.
|
| And I haven't been able to use synaptic since atrpms published a new
| version of apt.
|
| I realize that I might not be able to get this sorted out until FC4
| comes out and I just do yet another clean install. But this time I don't
| want to create any more dependency or package conflict problems.
|
| Temlakos

Well I'm not the right one to advice on the use of repositories other
than that I am using YUM as adviced here:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

and please read the instruction/warnings in the yum.conf file with
regards to include / exclude repositories.

Also, I successfully upgraded my clamav using synaptic and I now have
the following version: 0.85.1.4-fc3.

Are you not able to resinstall synaptic through apt-get?  Seems to work
for me:

[root at localhost truls]# apt-get install synaptic
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
synaptic is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
[root at localhost truls]#

Regards,
Truls