Repository recommendations for FC3 and FC4

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun May 22 22:31:31 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:

> I've been mixing dag, at-stable, and extras, and I suspect that I'm
> creating more problems than I thought I'd solved.

Use apt-get/synaptic or smart(rpm) when you mix repositories, because
you can weigh the different sources.

For this box my apt-get preferences are 998 for core/os/updates and 996
for third party repositories, so they cannot replace core/os/update
packages automatically.

Axel Thimm's at-repository is very special so I set it 995 for this box,
because it's either his mplayer or the one from rpmforge (or a bit of
work to figure out dependencies). I you prefer Axel's repository, you
can set him to 996 and those of rpmforge to 995. It's up to you.

Although there is some discussion about extra/livna vs. rpmforge and at,
I have never experienced real dependency problems with this setting.

So here is my /etc/apt/preferences:

Explanation: base os
Package: *
Pin: release c=os
Pin-Priority: 998

Explanation: base os
Package: *
Pin: release c=core
Pin-Priority: 998

Explanation: updates
Package: *
Pin: release c=updates
Pin-Priority: 998

Explanation: Fedora Extras
Package: *
Pin: release c=extras
Pin-Priority: 996

Explanation: Livna
Package: *
Pin: release c=stable
Pin-Priority: 996

Explanation: ATrpms, Axel Thimm's repository
Package: *
Pin: release c=at-stable
Pin-Priority: 995

Explanation: FreshRPMS, Matthias Saou's repository
Package: *
Pin: release c=freshrpms
Pin-Priority: 996

Explanation: NewRPMS, Rudolf (Che) Kastl's repository
Package: *
Pin: release c=newrpms
Pin-Priority: 996

Explanation: Dag Wieers' repository