APM and/or ACPI

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon May 23 04:54:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005 disguised.jedi at gmail.com wrote:

> On 5/22/05, Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> If your laptop supports ACPI suspend, then why not just use that?
> /*
> I would, but I couldn't find a place that told me how to do that.
> Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
> */
>

>> echo mem > /sys/power/state
>>
>> ... should do it, though you might have to unload some modules and
>> perhaps switch to a text terminal before suspending, depending on what
>> kind of machine you have.
> /*
> That works, but it doesn't come up after I power it back on.  Maybe
> I'm just not waiting long enough for it.  How would I go about
> unloading any troublesome modules that may be causing this?  Are there
> any modules known to cause this problem?  I'm not there right now, but
> I can send the output of `lsmod` tomorrow.  Now, it's time for
> sleep.........
>
> I was thinking that writing a shell script that unloaded the modules
> and then ran the command.  Then I'd execute that shell script from the
> battery monitor applet.  Is that a good thing to do????

That's the right idea.  You can probably find hints about your particular
laptop model (what did you say it was again?) at www.linux-on-laptops.com.

Take a look at the contents of /etc/acpi/ for a general clue about what
you are looking for.  ACPI is not very well documented, so searching and
experimenting are the knowledge tools of choice here.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu