One installation CD

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 23 12:21:29 UTC 2005

Martín Marqués wrote:
> El Vie 20 May 2005 18:53, Emmanuel Seyman escribió:

> How hard would it be to have an extra CD image with the distro that will only
> have the necesarry things to start the installation, partition, run fdisk,
> pass throught all the installation configuration, and when the packages are
> needed, just download them from the net.

I prefer the option that CD can install a complete desktop. Probably,
that would be equivalent to Ubuntu in package selection.

Arguably it should also be able to install common server configurations.

Further CDs would add KDE and other stuff not on the first CD.

This would result in the same (or equivalent) package selection as at
present, but provide the convenience of a one-CD install for those who
like it.

> Even better if it had the option to connect to any mirror (I could have a
> network to install and have a local mirror to install, say, 15 Desktops). Or
> have the ability to conect to a yam server. :-)

A network is fine, but one cannot rely on it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait