Load balanced, failover internet connections

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Mon May 23 13:27:04 UTC 2005

On 23 May 2005, at 14:15, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> You could add a second default route to your second ISP with a metric
> larger than 0.  This would make this route less preferred than the
> first
> default route.
>
> I did a quick scan of /etc/sysconfig/network*, but did not see any
> provisions for a second default gateway.  A simple solution might
> be to
> add your second default route in /etc/rc.local (man route).

That solution provides failover if the main default route goes down,
but won't provide load balancing. In order to provide load balancing,
you must use advanced routing and tools like iproute2 combined with
MARKs.

This could help:
http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/howto/2.4routing-15.html
http://davidcoulson.net/writing/pcp/180/masterclass-linuxexpert.pdf