C++ Compiling Problems

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 23 14:07:42 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

> PS: if you want a book on C instead of C++, don't bother with anything but
> the original book by the language's creators: C Programming Language by
> Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. As I said before, C is an elegant and
> small language, and this book is all you need. (Although you may also want
> to pick up The UNIX Programming Environment by Kernighan and Rob Pike.)

K&R C is no longer current, and I think it will give gcc severe heartburn.

There are altogether too many mistakes a C programmer can make that will
give rise to all sorts of program bugs including buffer overruns,
pointer overruns and underruns and many more.

There are uses for C; it was originally designed for programming
operating systems and such, and really is not well-suited at a
general-purpose programming language.

The act you _can_ write almost any program you can conceive in C doesn't
mean you should do so.

C doesn't do strings.
C doesn't do fixed-point.
Both are needed in business applications.

C++ is another matter altogether, and provided programmers use the C++
features, code written in C++ is likely to be more reliable than
equivalent code written by equivalently-capable C programmers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait