C++ Compiling Problems

Rick rtee at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 23 14:39:18 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>

>> PS: if you want a book on C instead of C++, don't bother with anything
>> but
>> the original book by the language's creators: C Programming Language by
>> Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. As I said before, C is an elegant and
>> small language, and this book is all you need. (Although you may also
>> want
>> to pick up The UNIX Programming Environment by Kernighan and Rob Pike.)
>>

> K&R C is no longer current, and I think it will give gcc severe heartburn.
>
> There are altogether too many mistakes a C programmer can make that will
> give rise to all sorts of program bugs including buffer overruns,
> pointer overruns and underruns and many more.
>
> There are uses for C; it was originally designed for programming
> operating systems and such, and really is not well-suited at a
> general-purpose programming language.
>
> The act you _can_ write almost any program you can conceive in C doesn't
> mean you should do so.
>
> C doesn't do strings.
> C doesn't do fixed-point.
> Both are needed in business applications.
>
> C++ is another matter altogether, and provided programmers use the C++
> features, code written in C++ is likely to be more reliable than
> equivalent code written by equivalently-capable C programmers.

Seems like an odd thing to say, you make it sound like C & C++ are
entirley different languages. C++ is C with some additional commands to
make handling objects easier and a stricter compiler. C++ doesn't do
strings in the same sense that C doesn't.

Regards.

Rick

--
Email which contains HTML will be deleted unread.