Scripting question, [small programming question

grumman Fan grumfan at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:20:57 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 13:02 -0400, grumman Fan wrote:
> > > scripts meet most IT definitions of "program."
> >
> > So "scripting" is the same thing as "programming"?
>
> No, "scripting" is a subset of "programming". It's programming in a
> script language.
>
> > "I scripted a new Linux kernel today."
> Well, it depends on how you define "kernel". It might surprise you, but
> there exist low-level OSes where low-level code is interpreted or
> "scripted".

It might not.  I'm in my early 70's. :)
Long before micro-computers existed, (what you all call PC's and
"Servers" ), there was microcode, wherein the machine language of
mainframes themselves was actually interpreted.  Writing microcode was
called microprogramming. see "programmable microcode".  Intel, (and
others, I assume), have started using microcode on their CPU chips,
but so far I've not heard of anyway for
the end user to write their own microcode for Pentium CPU's