up2date in enterprise environment?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 20:46:35 UTC 2005

Gerald wrote:
> I have an environment with 40 servers. Whats the best way to roll out O/S
>  and software upgrades with these requirements?
>
> 1. systems lack internet access.
> 2. would prefer that generally all systems maintain the same O/S and
> software levels.

Both would be taken care of by using a local yum repo.
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/richard_flude/repo/
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/tony_smith/yum/
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/hal_canary/yum/

Note that up2date uses the older metadata format so you would need to use
yum-arch instead of (or in addition too if you also want to use yum)
createrepo.

> 3. when considering an enterprise-wide update, would
> prefer to roll out upgrades to a subset of servers first before doing so
> to all of them.

Then you would actually set up two repos, one "production" and one "test".
 Any new packages go into the "test" repo until such a time as you want to
roll them out to all machines.  Set up the production machines with just
the "production" repo, and the test machines with both the "production"
and "test" repos.

--
William Hooper