OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 24 09:19:15 UTC 2005

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:33:42PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>
>>Debian beats Fedora here. There are 13,000 or so packages already built
>>for Debian.
>

> If by "beats", you mean "is unable to release a version of their
> distribution in a reasonable timeframe compared to", I certainly agree.

You can install testing any time you want:-)

Be fair, in some senses Ubuntu is a Debian release. It's even done by
Debian Developers.

> Reality check. If the number of supported packages was the end-all, be-all
> of the Unix distribution, everybody would be using FreeBSD. Since this
> isn't the case, there's obviously something else to it.

We were talking about the size of the pool of available packages to draw
on. FC has four CDs. Debian and derivatives have two or more DVDs - I've
not checked the number recently, but it's certainly more than one. Woody
was more than one.

>>Debian does this already, supporting my contention Debian's a better
>>base the Fedora Core.
>

> No. It just means that this was a higher priority for Debian developpers
> than for the Fedora guys. I can't think of anything Fedora-specific that
> makes a one CD install impossible.

There's not, but if you're creating the compilation then Debian gives
you a larger variety from which to choose.

Those who lament the passing of Enlightenment, Evolution 1.x (I miss the
summary page), those who like fvwm, dar, fwbuilder, shorewall, afio can
find them as standard parts of Debian. If you want to create a one-CD
install image for a firewall, an access point, a backup server, all the
packages you need are in Debian.

If you don't like the new Debian Installer, the you can use Anaconda
(see www.progeny.com).

--

Cheers
John